Economic Development Specialist – City of Independence
The Specialist assists in the planning, design, coordination, review and managing of the City’s economic development strategies and programs. Work may include providing technical assistance to businesses and the public; supporting marketing, business retention and expansion efforts; maintaining, analyzing and manipulating database, GIS, reporting and website information; interacting with various agencies, officials, boards and commissions; and providing other complex administrative support for City departments. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Economic Development Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with planning, organizing and coordinating the implementation of the City’s economic development strategies and programs.
- Develop, implement and administer business retention and expansion program.
- Coordinate and execute marketing strategy in an effort to promote the city as a premier business location, retain existing business and attract quality business prospects.
- Coordinate, implement and manage promotional communication and marketing efforts to ensure a coordinated and professional profile for the City.
- Manage projects, respond to leads and requests for information, coordinate necessary recordkeeping and reporting.
- Meet with existing business and new business prospects to define retention/expansion opportunities, develop plans and follow through with support;
- Coordinate, develop, prepare materials for and participate in various Council, Board & Commission, business and community meetings, events and initiatives to promote business and community vitality.
- Facilitate interaction with members of the business, real estate and development communities in working with the City.
- Use GIS and other technology to provide data analysis and produce graphic information.
- Research, analyze, and/or develop information regarding the economic climate for issues such as marketing trends, building sites, operating costs, taxes, transportation, natural resources, labor markets, utility costs, community factors, raw materials, revenue forecasting, etc.
- Network with relevant communities, agencies and professional groups to develop skills and build relationships.
- Coordinate efforts to assemble data necessary to monitor and report on department and City goals and activities.
- Other duties as required.
- Communication Skills- written and verbal
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Data analysis and presentation skills (i.e. GIS, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and Creativity
- Planning and organizing
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, marketing and promotion.
- Comfortable making visitation calls on businesses. Have the skill, demeanor and personality to engage business management in meaningful discussions. Possess the discretion and discipline to address business concerns in a timely manner.
- Excellent project management skills. Highly organized.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with developers, business leaders, real estate agents, government officials, associates and the general public.
- Ability to prepare and present orally and written reports and prepare technical reports. Skill to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Experience using relationship management software designed for economic development (i.e. Executive Pulse, Synchronist, etc.)
- General knowledge of federal, state and local ordinances, policies and procedures related to economic development, planning and zoning.
- Ability to plan, organize, administer and evaluate economic development programs, including identifying and securing funding/revenue sources.
- Aptitude for strategic and critical thinking; with a focus on an analytical approach to achieving desired project outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience managing marketing programs utilizing both traditional and new media.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database administration. Comfortable using devices, IPhone and IPad in the course of daily work.
- Comfortable working independently and in a group setting.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Able to establish individual performance measures and possess the self-motivation to achieve them.
Education and Experience:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in planning, business, communications, public administration or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Considerable professional experience in economic development, communications, marketing or planning. Experience in local, regional or state government is preferred. Knowledge and experience developing and implementing economic development business retention/expansion and marketing programs.
Valid Ohio Class D Driver’s License.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and be able to lift up to 20 lbs when necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The City of Independence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CLICK HERE for more information and to Apply Now
Intel’s announcement to partner with Ohio to expand its chip manufacturing operations in Ohio’s Licking County is a tremendous victory for the United States. Semiconductors are a brand-new vital industry to our state and will supercharge Ohio’s economy.read more
Uptown Consortium Inc.’s (UCI) community partners are gearing up for a year of collaboration, relationship-building and community engagement. Projects in Uptown’s five core neighborhoods: Avondale, Clifton, Corryville, University Heights (CUF) and Mt. Auburn are in various stages of development—but all with the goal of maintaining Uptown’s status as one of Cincinnati’s most vibrant and eclectic areas.read more
The International Market Access Grant for Exporters (IMAGE) provides eligible businesses a 50% reimbursement of up to $10,000 for activities that promote international business.read more